The Iris Stitch is a pretty, lacy stitch with just a 1 row repeat. This stitch uses just double crochet and chain stitches.
Get the free pattern below or purchase the entire ad-free, printable PDF in my Etsy Shop or Ravelry Shop
50g Worsted weight yarn + small amount for the border (the same color that will be used for sewing – optional)
H/5.0 mm hook
Pattern notes & stitches to know
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
· written in US terms
· ch 3 counts as dc
· This stitch is 2 sided
· This stitch requires a starting ch with a mult of 4 + 3
· Approx finished size: 7” x 7”
How to Crochet the Iris Stitch
· If you’re having trouble getting the sizing right, remember that it’s easier to adjust a square that’s too small than one that’s too big.
· If a square comes out too small you can add an additional round for the border, go up a hook size, and/or steam block and stretch the square to the size you want.
· The edges might curl. This can be fixed with some steam blocking. It won’t be noticeable after sewing.
· Each square has at least 2 rounds of border. For the last round of the border I used the same color for each square (the dark gray). This is the same color used for the sewing.
· Each square does not need the same number of stitches for the border.
· Make 2 of each square. Alternatively, you can use cotton yarn and make 1 square to use as a dishcloth.
PART 9 – IRIS STITCH (make 2)
Ch 23 (mult of 4 + 3)
Row 1: starting in the 5th ch from the hook (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) all in same ch, *skip 3 chs, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) all in next* repeat from * to * across to last 2 chs, skip next ch, dc in last (22 dc)
Row 2: ch 3, turn, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in each ch-1 space across, dc in turning ch (22 dc)
Row 3 – 11: repeat row 2
With the same color used for the square, work around the entire square (this stitch will have 3 rounds of border, add more if needed)
Round 1: ch 1, sc along the side of the square, working 2 sc in the end of each row, across to the corner, ch 2, working along the bottom, sc in each stitch across to the corner, ch 2, working along the side, 2 sc in the end of each row across to the corner, ch 2, working along the top, sc in each stitch across to corner, ch 2, join to first sc with sl st
Round 2: ch 1, *sc in each stitch across to ch-2 space, (sc, ch 2, sc) in ch-2 space* repeat from * to * around, join to first sc with sl st
Join to corner ch-2 space with border color
Round 3: ch 1, sc in ch-2 space, sc in each stitch across to corner ch-2 space, *(sc, ch 2, sc) in ch-2 space, sc in each stitch across to corner ch-2 space* repeat from * to * around, (sc, ch 2) in last ch-2 space, join to first sc with sl st
Fasten off. Weave in the ends.