– Get the free pattern below or download the printable PDF for free HERE
115g Worsted weight yarn + small amount for the border (the same color that will be used for sewing – optional)
H/5.0 mm hook
Pattern notes & stitches to know
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
fpdc – front post double crochet
rs – right side
ws – wrong side
· written in US terms
· ch 2 does not count as dc
· this square has a right side and a wrong side
· starting ch needs to be a multiple of 3 + 2
· This square has slightly tighter tension. I ended up adding one extra round for the border or you can go up a hook size if needed.
· Approx finished size: 12” x 12”
Watch How to Crochet the Waffle Stitch Video Tutorial Below
· If you’re having trouble getting the sizing right, remember that it’s easier to adjust a square that’s too small than one that’s too big.
· If a square comes out too small you can add an additional round for the border, go up a hook size, and/or steam block and stretch the square to the size you want.
· The edges might curl. This can be fixed with some steam blocking. It won’t be noticeable after sewing.
· Each square has at least 2 rounds of border. For the last round of the border I used the same color for each square (the dark gray). This is the same color used for the sewing.
· The squares will be released in sewing order, starting with the bottom left. I left a long end for sewing on each of the squares. The long end is approximately twice the length of one side.
PART 2 – WAFFLE STITCH
Row 1 (ws): dc in 3rd ch from the hook and in each ch across (42 dc)
Row 2 (rs): ch 2, turn, dc in first stitch, *fpdc in next, dc in next 2,* repeat from * to * across to last 2 stitches, fpdc in next, dc in last stitch (42)
Row 3 (ws): ch 2, turn, dc in first stitch, *dc in next, fpdc in next 2,* repeat from * to * across to last 2 stitches, dc in last 2 (42)
Row 4 – 30: repeat rows 2 & 3 ending on a row 2 (rs) repeat (or until the length matches the width)
Do not fasten off.
With the same color used for the square, work around the entire square
Round 1 (rs): ch 1, sc along the side of the square, working 1 sc in the side of each row to the corner, 3 sc in corner, sc in each stitch across to next corner, 3 sc in corner, sc along the side of the square, working 1 sc in the side of each row to the corner, 3 sc in corner, sc in each stitch to last, 2 sc in last stitch, join to first sc
Change to border/joining color
Round 2 (rs): ch 1, *sc in each stitch across to corner, 3 sc in corner* repeat from * to * around, join to first sc with sl st
Leave a long end for sewing.
Weave in the other ends.
See you next week for Part 3!