This week’s stitch is the Even Berry Stitch! This stitch uses the super cute Berry stitch. I love using this stitch as an accent or added texture to a sweater, scarf or beanie.
Even Berry Stitch
– Get the free pattern below or download the printable PDF for free HERE
115g Worsted weight yarn + small amount for the border (the same color that will be used for sewing – optional)
H/5.0 mm hook
Pattern notes & stitches to know
ch – chain
sc – single crochet
berry – yarn over, insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through one loop on hook, yarn over, insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through all 5 loops on hook
rs – right side
ws – wrong side
· written in US terms
· ch 1 does not count as sc
· starting ch needs to be an even number
· This stitch will go a little sideways when used as a solid block. Adding a border and sewing will help fix this.
Approx finished size: 12” x 12”
Watch How to Crochet the Even Berry Stitch Video Tutorial Below
· If you’re having trouble getting the sizing right, remember that it’s easier to adjust a square that’s too small than one that’s too big.
· If a square comes out too small you can add an additional round for the border, go up a hook size, and/or steam block and stretch the square to the size you want.
· The edges might curl. This can be fixed with some steam blocking. It won’t be noticeable after sewing.
· Each square has at least 2 rounds of border. For the last round of the border I used the same color for each square (the dark gray). This is the same color used for the sewing.
· The squares will be released in sewing order, starting with the bottom left. I left a long end for sewing on each of the squares. The long end is approximately twice the length of one side.
· Each square does not need the same number of stitches for the border.
PART 9 – EVEN BERRY STITCH
Row 1 (rs): sc in 2nd ch from the hook and across (41 sc)
Row 2 (ws): ch 1, turn, sc in first stitch, *berry in next, sc in next* repeat from * to * across (41)
Row 3 (rs): ch 1, turn, sc in each stitch across (41 sc)
Row 4 – 45: repeat rows 2 & 3
With the same color used for the square, work around the entire square
Round 1 (rs): ch 1, sc evenly along the side of the square, working 1 sc in the side of each row to the corner, 3 sc in corner, sc in each stitch across to next corner, 3 sc in corner, sc along the side of the square, working 1 sc in the side of each row to the corner, 3 sc in corner, sc in each stitch to last, 2 sc in last stitch, join to first sc
Change to border/joining color
Round 2 (rs): ch 1, *sc in each stitch across to corner, 3 sc in corner* repeat from * to * around, join to first sc with sl st
Fasten off. Leave a long end for sewing.
Weave in the other ends.
See you next week for Part 10!