The Crunch Stitch is an easy level stitch that creates a neat, textured look with just a 1 row repeat. This stitch only uses half double crochet and slip stitches. I’ve used this stitch for my Textured Ear Warmer and the Easy Chunky Cowl.
It’s not too late to join the Stitch Sampler Scrapghan CAL! You can find all the Scrapghan Crochet Along info HERE. Join my FACEBOOK GROUP to share your progress with your fellow crocheters!
Get the free pattern below or download the PDF for free HERE
66g Worsted weight yarn + small amount for the border (the same color that will be used for sewing – optional)
H/5.0 mm hook
Pattern notes & stitches to know
ch – chain
hdc – half double crochet
sl st – slip stitch
· written in US terms
· ch 2 counts as hdc
· This stitch is 2 sided
· This stitch requires a starting ch of an odd number
· Approx finished size: 7” x 7”
How to Crochet the Crunch Stitch
· If you’re having trouble getting the sizing right, remember that it’s easier to adjust a square that’s too small than one that’s too big.
· If a square comes out too small you can add an additional round for the border, go up a hook size, and/or steam block and stretch the square to the size you want.
· The edges might curl. This can be fixed with some steam blocking. It won’t be noticeable after sewing.
· Each square has at least 2 rounds of border. For the last round of the border I used the same color for each square (the dark gray). This is the same color used for the sewing.
· Each square does not need the same number of stitches for the border.
· Make 2 of each square. Alternatively, you can use cotton yarn and make 1 square to use as a dishcloth.
PART 7 – CRUNCH STITCH (make 2)
Ch 31 (any odd number)
Row 1: sl st in 3rd ch from the hook, *hdc in next, sl st in next* repeat from * to * across (30)
Row 2: ch 2, turn, *sl st in next stitch, hdc in next* repeat from * to * across, ending with sl st in turning ch (30)
Row 3 – 34: repeat row 2
With the same color used for the square, work around the entire square
Round 1: ch 1, sc along the side of the square, working 1 sc in the end of each row across to the corner, ch 2, working along the bottom, sc in each stitch across to the corner, ch 2, working along the side, sc in the end of each row across to the corner, ch 2, working along the top, sc in each stitch across to corner, ch 2, join to first sc with sl st
Join to corner ch-2 space with border color
Round 2: ch 1, sc in ch-2 space, sc in each stitch across to corner ch-2 space, *(sc, ch 2, sc) in ch-2 space, sc in each stitch across to corner ch-2 space* repeat from * to * around, (sc, ch 2) in last ch-2 space, join to first sc with sl st
Fasten off. Weave in the ends.
And that’s it for Part 7! See you next week for Part 8 🙂
Looking for more patterns? Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Please share a pic of your finished product with me. I’d love to see it!
Only registered users can comment.
Thank you for all the wonderful patterns in this CAL! I just wanted to make one comment … regarding pattern 7- crunch stitch, the ending rows are 29 not 30 since we’re sl st into the 3rd ch from hook not the 2nd. Well, at least that’s how my count is.
Hi! The ch 2 counts as a stitch 🙂
How do I acquire parts1 to6?
Hi! They are all linked at the bottom of this post 🙂 https://www.hookedonhomemadehappiness.com/stitch-sampler-scrapghan-crochet-along-2023/